Outdoor Pursuits has long been regarded as a feature of Rathkeale College. This is still the case through the provision of a variety of activities and camps throughout the year. More recently, adventure racing has developed as an extension to the regular multi-sport activities. The integration of problem solving skills and navigation develop camaraderie and team work that assist considerably to develop students’ maturity.
We are fortunate to be located at the foot of the Tararua Ranges, arguably one of the best alpine training environments in the country. The Rathkeale grounds cover 120 acres of native bush and farmland. We are flanked by the Ruamahunga River which allows us to expand the boys’ outdoor pursuits experiences.
Programmes on offer include
- New boarders’ orientation weekend
- Junior outdoor education camps and activities
- Year 12 Camp
- Year 12 Odyssey (a unique experience for students who relish a physical challenge)
- Year 12 and Year 13 subject camps in Geography and PE studies
- Adventure racing competitions